Director of Development – Major Gifts
(New York Metro Area)
The Director of Development – Major Gifts plays a vital role in securing the support needed to fulfill Farm Sanctuary’s mission by handling the overall management of the major gifts program, managing relationships and securing $2M+ annual support from donors who are capable of making gifts of $10,000 to well over $1M each. This position will develop and implement a plan for major gift fundraising across the country, including working closely with volunteers and staff to promote the acquisition of major gifts. The Director of Major Gifts will also handle a personal prospect portfolio of 80-100 prospects, oversee three staff positions, and manage select administrative projects. This position reports to the Chief Development & Communications Officer.
– Oversight of Major Gift Program, including but not limited to
- Develop and propose strategic plan to secure annual major gift funding based on Farm Sanctuary’s organizational priorities and income goals
- Develop and implement approved strategies for solicitation of major gifts with Major Gift Team, including:
- Determining ongoing relationships with prospect/donor
- Recommending specific purpose and level of gift
- Identifying those to be involved in cultivation and subsequent solicitation
- Assuring that solicitations are carried out.
- Identify and research new individual and foundation prospects.
- Oversee the extraction and analysis of data from constituent database and wealth screening services to help identify prospective donors and build personalized engagement strategies
- Co-ordinate an effective program for recognition, involvement and stewardship of major and special gifts donors in coordination with the Senior Donor Relations Manager.
- Develop and maintain collaborative efforts with Farm Sanctuary’s staff and volunteers to develop meaningful and strategic relationships with current and prospective donors
- Ensure development of high-quality major gift program communications, such as letters, funding proposals, reports, and other materials.
- Develop and maintain procedures in coordination with headquarters office to ensure effective record keeping, acknowledgement and follow-up on all major gifts.
– Staff Supervision
- Manage 3 staff members including two Major Gift Officers and the Senior Donor Relations Manager
- Maintain and share knowledge and understanding of development techniques and fundraising best practices
- Develop and implement programs for major and special gifts staff professional development, process documentation and improvement, and progress tracking
– Manage a personal portfolio of 80-100 current and prospective donors, including qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewardship of prospects and existing donors.
– Oversee Development team efforts including consultation with staff about solicitation strategy for key prospects and internal planning efforts.
– Maintain deep and ongoing understanding of Farm Sanctuary’s mission, values and programs
– Keep current on programs activities within the animal rights/anti-factory farming movement
The ideal candidate will be an individual with a strong and diverse fundraising background, including progressive and successful development experience in major gifts and a strong track record of successful team management. This candidate will care deeply about mentoring gift officers and the development profession.
- 8-10 years of individual major gift fundraising with demonstrated success engaging and building relationships with key stakeholders
- 2 or more years of management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of training and experience; Master’s degree in business or public administration and management, preferred.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of major donors in order to develop relationships between them and Farm Sanctuary.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills necessary to tailor messages to various audiences and be an effective representative for Farm Sanctuary
- Ability to clearly articulate Farm Sanctuary’s mission, goals and values to donors and prospects, ensuring “buy in” with sufficient effectiveness to secure gifts and pledges of $10,000 or more.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse areas.
- Ability to see and understand the objectives of the major gifts group and the development team, and to integrate the major gifts program with those objectives.
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and alter strategic advancement plans.
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage systems and set priorities
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with volunteers, staff, and the senior leadership team.
- Ability to work independently while also working as a member of Farm Sanctuary’s development team.
- Ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:(1) to initiate contacts with potential major donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to maintain stewardship contacts with donors.
- Excellent analytical and organization skills required.
- General knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates
- Interest in all aspects of farm animal rights and plant-based living and a dedication to promoting Farm Sanctuary’s fundraising priorities
- To represent organizational mission in member relations, candidate must be vegetarian/vegan or aspiring to be vegan by the time of accepting this position.
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Knowledge and experience with animal protection movement and issues preferred
- Experience working with philanthropic databases preferred
- Full time, exempt position
- Telecommuting position based in the New York city metropolitan area
- Requires regular travel over a broad geographic range to manage a personal portfolio as well as national program activities
- Flexibility to work some weekends and evenings consistent with a front-line fundraising role required
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials, such as a sample proposal, will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position posted February 5, 2016