Director of Development – Major Gifts (Eastern Region)
The Director of Development will advance the work of Farm Sanctuary by identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts of $10,000 and more from an assigned portfolio of individual and foundation prospects. Reporting directly to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and working alongside members of the Major Gifts and Leadership Giving Team, the Director of Development will play a key role in securing the support Farm Sanctuary needs to accomplish its mission.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Manage a portfolio of 150 current and prospective donors giving at the $5,000 level using a moves management framework to upgrade or maintain their giving at the major gifts level;
- Plan and implement strategies to secure funding based on Farm Sanctuary’s organizational priorities;
- Collaborate with Farm Sanctuary’s staff and volunteers to develop meaningful and strategic relationships with current and prospective donors;
- Create regular, high-quality communications, such as letters, funding proposals, reports, and other materials;
- Maintain and develop procedures in coordination with headquarters office to ensure effective record keeping, acknowledgement and follow-up on all major gifts;
- Research, identify and cultivate new individual and foundation prospects;
- Extract and analyze data from the constituent database and wealth screening services to help identify prospective donors and build personalized engagement strategies;
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of development techniques and fundraising best practices;
- Maintain deep and ongoing understanding of Farm Sanctuary’s mission, values and programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of training and experience; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years of fundraising experience, with a background in major gifts and/or, capital campaign fundraising preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills necessary to tailor messages to various audiences and be an effective representative for Farm Sanctuary
- Strong project management skills; ability to set priorities, and work independently essential
- Demonstrated success engaging and building relationships with key stakeholders;
- Familiarity with New York City, Long Island and New Jersey philanthropic communities a plus.
- Ability to clearly articulate Farm Sanctuary’s mission, goals and values to donors and prospects, ensuring “buy in” with sufficient effectiveness to secure gifts and pledges of $10,000 or more.
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and alter strategic advancement plans.
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with volunteers, staff, and the senior leadership team.
- Ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:(1) to initiate contacts with potential major donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to maintain stewardship contacts with donors.
- Excellent analytical and organization skills
- Familiarity with and dedication to Farm Sanctuary’s vision, mission, and ethos
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Experience working with Constituent Management Relationship databases preferred
- Full-time, exempt position
- Requires travel across broad geographic range on the east coast as needed to manage personal portfolio
- Flexibility to work some weekends and evenings consistent with a front-line fundraising role required
- Telecommuting position location to be based in the New York City metro area.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact email@example.com.
Position posted February 1, 2018