New York Visitor Experience Manager– Watkins Glen
The Visitor Experience Manager is an essential member of the team that plans and delivers high-quality educational tours and events at Farm Sanctuary’s original shelter location in the Finger Lakes region of New York. The ideal candidate will have a passion for interacting with the public to raise awareness of the issues surrounding animal agriculture and to further Farm Sanctuary’s mission to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and promote compassionate vegan living. This position reports to the Director of Visitor Experience.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Oversee Watkins Glen sanctuary visitor program, including:
- Seasonal public tours.
- Special donor tours including monthly sponsors and group tours.
- Bed and Breakfast program for three onsite cabins and 3 tiny houses, including reservation support, guest relations, and cleaning.
- Annual hiring, training, and supervision of seasonal staff including 5 tour guides and 2 housekeepers.
- Onsite oversight of gift shop, in collaboration with offsite Retail Operations Manager.
- Daily upkeep of Visitor Center.
- Maintaining protocol documents, visitor program materials and preparing reports.
- Coordinate multiple onsite sanctuary events annually, including:
- Securing event speakers and entertainment.
- Securing catering contracts and food/product donations.
- Writing event materials, including web pages, promotional fliers and event program.
- Coordinating volunteers.
- Working with Communications Department to promote event.
- Overseeing all day-of-event activities.
- Maintaining accurate, up-to-date timelines of all events.
- Additional visitor experience program responsibilities as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word required
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Friendly and outgoing manner, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to display sensitivity, tact and responsiveness with guests, volunteer, staff and colleagues.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects with creativity and flexibility.
- Confidence and ability to work independently, while maintaining consistent and relevant communication with supervisor
- Resourcefulness and the ability to work independently.
- Resourcefulness, poise and fluent adaptability to unexpected situations and developments
- Willingness to pitch in where needed.
- Ability to work well as part of a diverse team, keeping others informed, managing expectations across departments, and highlighting opportunities and risks associated with projects.
- Knowledge of animal protection movement, factory farming, and vegan issues.
- High level of comfort regularly interacting with farm animals and engaging others to create a positive farm tour experience.
- Cruelty-free lifestyle — To represent organizational mission in member relations, the candidate must be vegetarian/vegan; if vegetarian, the candidate must be aspiring to a vegan lifestyle by the time of accepting this position.
- Previous customer service experience.
- Previous event-planning experience strongly preferred.
- Experience managing staff and vendors preferred.
- Prior experience in hospitality or visitor programs a plus.
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Applicants without the preferred level of experience will be considered, however would start the position at the Coordinator level
- Full-time, exempt position.
- Position requires weekends during the visitor season and some holidays and evenings.
- Based in Watkins Glen, NY — due to the nature of the responsibilities, telecommuting is not an option for this position.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance.
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact email@example.com.
Position posted March 15, 2019