Sanctuary Veterinarian – Acton, CA
Farm Sanctuary’s Acton sanctuary is home to approximately 150 farm animals rescued from abuse and neglect, including many from agricultural operations. At Farm Sanctuary they are given refuge, rehabilitation, and a lifetime of personalized care. The Sanctuary Veterinarian (SV) is responsible for providing and supporting high-quality medical care to multiple species in collaboration with a team of dedicated and experienced caregivers. The SV reports to the Director of Shelter Operations and serves on the Acton Shelter Management team—a multidisciplinary team focused on excellence in all aspects of animal care.
- Participates in Shelter rounds, performs physical examinations (as needed), and advises on appropriate treatment
- Collaborates with Director of Shelter Operations to assess and implement standard care protocols
- Works with Animal Care Managers to train caregiving staff in performing treatments
- Works with Management team to support caregiving staff professional development opportunities
- Advises and consults with Shelter Management team on the necessity of diagnostic work; conducts tests and assesses results as needed
- Maintains medical recordkeeping standards
- Oversees controlled substances and orders; manages prescriptions and accounts for medications onsite
- Contributes to discussions on the disposition of difficult and complex cases
- Interacts effectively with veterinary specialists and referral institutions as necessary
- Conducts telephone conversations as needed with adopters re: hospitalized patients, test results and general medical information
- Consults with Shelter Management team on rescue and placement issues as needed
- Participates in continuing education and remains current on veterinary literature
- Participates in and represents Farm Sanctuary in DVM Meetings and discussions of current disease trends, perceptions of efficacy of treatments and protocols
- Serves as a representative of Farm Sanctuary to donors and members of the public
- Assists with budget preparation and reports as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Shelter Operations
- A California Veterinary License in good standing
- Previous experience working with farm animals as a large animal, small animal, or avian specialist
- Comfort with and ability to develop expertise working with all species in Farm Sanctuary’s care, including cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, alpacas, llamas, donkeys, chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese
- Strong skills in conventional medicine and diagnostics
- Excellent interpersonal skills, positive attitude, team-oriented and committed to promoting animal welfare
- Commitment to providing the highest quality of care to Farm Sanctuary’s residents in accordance with animal care policies and veterinary best practices
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects with creativity and flexibility
- Confidence and ability to work independently, while maintaining consistent and relevant communication with supervisor, Shelter Management team, and others
- Resourcefulness, poise and fluent adaptability to unexpected situations and developments
- Collaborative and motivated to work well as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team, keeping others informed, managing expectations across the team, and highlighting opportunities and risks associated with projects.
- Knowledge of animal protection movement, factory farming, and vegan issues preferred
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Full-time or Part-time position
- Requires schedule flexibility, including weekend, evening and holiday availability as well as on-call responsibilities. Some travel may be required.
- Position is based in Acton, CA
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact email@example.com.