Shelter Caregiver Assistant – Acton, CA (Temporary)
Farm Sanctuary’s Acton Shelter Team is tasked with ensuring we provide the highest level of care for our sanctuary residents. Shelter Caregiver Assistants are assigned a broad range of daily responsibilities including barn cleaning, animal feeding and watering, shelter projects, and animal health care assistance. Caregiver Assistants must be flexible and able to complete tasks in all of these areas. The Shelter Caregiver Assistant reports to the Acton Shelter Manager.
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feeds schedule
- Daily animal health care and treatments
- Assisting with animal health checks/individual checks of each species
- Animal health care projects as assigned; may include feed ordering, medications and medical supply ordering, database, and animal charting
- Barn cleaning and shelter cleaning projects
- Maintaining hospital/treatment areas
- Assisting with volunteer supervision as assigned
- Reporting animal health and/or other shelter problems directly to shelter manager
Shelter caregivers work closely with shelter manager and national shelter director to ensure quality animal care, proper handling, proper disease diagnosis, and maintenance of all animal feeds and watering schedules.
- Strong desire and ability to do hands-on shelter work
- Good animal behavior observation skills
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting
- Comfortable working on own; as each employee has individual work assignments each day
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions and maintain animal care schedules as assigned
- Team player with ability to work well with variety of people, including volunteers
- Very reliable and dependable
- Positive attitude
- Patient and able to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s animal care policies
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
- Minimum of one year experience at animal care facility strongly preferred and/or animal advocacy volunteer history
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record preferred
- Full time, non-exempt position
- Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required
- Some evening hours required during summer months
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues and training or support of other sanctuary locations
- Salary : $16.00 per hour
- Temporary position available through at least October 31, 2019, with possibility for extension based on organizational program needs
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact email@example.com.