Staff Accountant – Los Angeles, CA
Farm Sanctuary’s Staff Accountant is responsible for ensuring accurate and compliant accounting records and timely reporting for the organization. This position reports to the Accounting Manager.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliations for the organization’s various accounts.
- Assists Accounting Manager with month-end close process, including preparation of journal entries.
- Prepares and files periodic sales and occupancy tax reports to various jurisdictions, as well as other similar reports, as needed.
- Supports the Accounting Manager in completing the annual financial audit, including preparing schedules for accruals, prepaid expenses, fixed assets and in-kind donations, among others.
- Assists in monthly budget performance reports for each department and division as well as creating other financial reports and analyses as needed.
- Manages annual preparation of 1099-MISC reporting to recipients and IRS.
- Works with Development Services Manager to reconcile income across the donor database and the accounting systems.
- Documents financial processes for development and maintenance of a financial procedures manuals
- Prepares reports from the general ledger for use in grant applications, charity evaluations and other uses, as needed.
- Serves as back-up to Director of Human Resources for payroll processing.
- Other duties may be assigned by the supervisor as needed.
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP as well as federal, state and local legal and tax requirements, particularly those relevant to not-for-profit organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred. Associates degree in accounting or significant coursework through intermediate accounting considered.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in accounting, audit, and/or bookkeeping. Experience with non-profit accounting and/or experience with public accounting or auditing desirable.
- CPA desirable, but not required if there is a sufficient combination of education and experience.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Excel. Experience with QuickBooks is preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to deal with complex projects
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Experience updating and maintaining policies and procedures
- Analytic skills
- Highly developed communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong problem solving initiative and ability to work independently.
- Skilled in use of modern technology, particularly cloud-based tools used by a distributed workforce
- Commitment to or interest in the organization’s mission is beneficial.
- Full time, non-exempt position
- Position to be based at Farm Sanctuary Los Angeles office (3333 Wilshire Blvd, in Koreatown)
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance.
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials, such as a sample proposal, will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact email@example.com.
Position posted May 15, 2017