The Staff Attorney supports Farm Sanctuary’s work on behalf of farm animals by assisting with a variety of legal and compliance matters, including contracts, intellectual property, and trusts and estates matters. The position reports to the General Counsel.
- Advice & Support: Provide legal advice and support as needed to internal teams including Visitor Experience, Communications, Development, and Shelter
- Contracts: Serve as internal point of contact for all Farm Sanctuary contract requests, advising staff on contract terms, negotiating, drafting, and reviewing a wide variety and large volume of contracts, maintaining contract files, and tracking relevant deadlines and expirations
- Trusts & Estates: Advise on trusts, estates, and other planned giving matters, and manage pending bequests
- Lobbying Registration & Reporting: In support of Farm Sanctuary’s advocacy efforts, research and advise on compliance with applicable federal, state, and local lobbying laws and regulations, and prepare lobbying registrations and reports as needed
- Intellectual property: Advise on a variety of intellectual property issues, including copyright and trademark issues
- Compliance: Advise on compliance with applicable laws and regulations governing the operation of a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
- Research: Conduct legal research and analysis of specific legal questions, and prepare memoranda, opinions, and position papers upon request
- Perform other duties assigned by the General Counsel
- Juris Doctor with a preferred minimum of 2 years’ experience in the practice of law
- Status as a member in good standing of the bar in the District of Columbia or any state of the United States
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to proactively identify and resolve legal and business issues
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, handling varied tasks simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines
- Proven excellent legal research and writing skills
- Proven excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated interest in farm animal protection and knowledge and support of the mission and campaigns of Farm Sanctuary
- Understanding of nonprofit sector and related legal issues strongly preferred
- Full time, at will, exempt position
- Remote position with a preference for a remote office location in Washington, DC, or New York, NY
- Requires schedule flexibility, including weekend and evening hours as needed
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact email@example.com.