Shelter Caregiver – Orland, CA
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feeds schedule
- Daily animal health care and treatments
- Weekly animal health checks/individual checks of each species
- Animal health care projects as assigned, including feed ordering, medications and medical supply ordering, database, and animal charting
- Shelter cleaning projects; maintaining hospital/treatment areas
- Training and supervising animal caregiver assistants, shelter interns, and volunteers
- Reporting animal health and/or other shelter problems directly to shelter manager
- Research new treatment options for various conditions
- Work with veterinarians to develop treatment protocols, etc.
Shelter caregivers work closely with shelter manager and director to ensure quality animal care, proper handling, proper disease diagnosis, and maintenance of all animal feeds and watering schedules.
- Excellent animal behavior observation skills
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions and maintain animal care schedules as assigned
- Ability to work well with variety of people
- Team player and able to monitor and report on all shelter staff duties
- Very reliable and dependable
- Positive attitude
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s animal care policies
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
- Previous animal experience is required
- Minimum two years experience at animal care facility; volunteer history at animal advocacy organization(s)
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
Shelter Caregivers should have a strong desire and ability to do hands-on shelter work and a personal commitment to rescuing and protecting farm animals. Caregivers are vital team leaders of our shelters, where providing quality animal care is the number one priority.
- Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required
- Some evening hours required during summer months
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues
- Salary range: $27,000 to $34,000 based on experience and qualifications
- Competitive benefits package including health insurance, 403b plan, and long term disability
- Eligible for on-site housing consideration based on availability at time of hire
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date posted: January 14, 2015