Information Farm Sanctuary Collects
Farm Sanctuary collects two types of information about visitors to the Sites: (i) personal information you provide voluntarily, and (ii) tracking data, which may be automatically collected from visitors to the Sites.
(i) Personal Information
There are various ways in which you may voluntarily provide personal information through our Sites, such as your name, postal address, and email address. You may provide this information when you are signing up to receive updates, creating a user account, making a donation, ordering merchandise, registering for an event, requesting information, providing feedback, applying for a job or internship, booking a stay in our accommodations, or responding to an action alert. If you are purchasing something or making a donation, you may be asked to provide your credit card details. This information is collected only with your knowledge and permission.
If you contact us directly, we may keep a record of your correspondence, including any personal information you provide.
(ii) Tracking Data
Tracking data is information we may collect automatically from visitors to the Sites, such as their browser type, operating system, internet service provider or referring site through cookies and other means. Tracking data includes aggregate information, such as the total number of page visits or visits to the Sites, and the average time spent on individual pages on the Sites.
Basis for Processing Data
We process your personal information (meaning, we collect, record, store, use, disclose information), only when one or more of the following bases applies:
- You have consented to the processing;
- The processing is necessary to perform a contract/transaction;
- The processing is necessary to provide services through our Sites;
- The processing is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations; and/or,
- The processing is necessary for our legitimate interests or those of any third-party recipients that receive your personal data (as detailed below).
How Farm Sanctuary Uses Your Information
Farm Sanctuary uses information in various ways, including:
- To send you updates about Farm Sanctuary campaigns, rescues, and events;
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to process donations, renew your membership, and provide membership services;
- To provide you information about our partners;
- To accept payment for, ship, and send you confirmation of your merchandise orders;
- To manage and process your internship or job application;
- To remember your online profile and preferences;
- To personalize web and email content based on your interests and send you invitations to events in your area;
- To send you administrative information such as updates to our terms; and,
- To perform data analysis, and measure and improve the effectiveness of our campaigns and Sites.
There are some circumstances in which Farm Sanctuary may share your information:
- We share the personal information you provide us with our third-party service providers as necessary for the provision of services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and similar services. We take reasonable measures to ensure these third parties are protecting your information.
- The name and postal address you provide Farm Sanctuary becomes part of Farm Sanctuary’s mailing list, which is occasionally made available to reputable advocacy and nonprofit organizations and commercial companies.
- We do not sell or rent your telephone number or email address. We may occasionally send you emails with information from reputable advocacy and nonprofit organizations and commercial companies, but we do not provide those entities your email address or phone number.
- We may provide third parties with aggregated but anonymized information and analytics that do not specifically identify you.
International Transfers of Personal Information
Farm Sanctuary is based in the United States. By accessing our Sites and submitting your personal information, you consent to having your information stored and used in the United States as described in this policy, and you consent to having your information transferred to the United States if you are outside the United States.
If you leave a comment on our Sites, you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies for your own convenience, so you do not have to fill in your details next time you leave a comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account, when you log in to our Sites we may set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser. You can also choose to remain logged in by selecting “Remember Me” or “Keep Me Logged In” which generates additional cookies to save your login information and screen display choices. You can remove these cookies at any time by logging out.
Protecting Your Information
We are committed to protecting your privacy and take reasonable steps to protect the security of your information. To protect the data you submit to us via the internet, secure forms and encryption technology are in place for transactions on our Sites.
Keeping Your Information
We will retain your personal data as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected or to comply with legal, regulatory or internal policy requirements, or until you request the deletion of your data.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send written correspondence to:
P.O. Box 150
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
- Call 607.583.2225 ext. 221
If you have an account on our Sites, or have left comments, you can also use the above contact information to request an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Notification of changes
Last updated May 25, 2018