Let’s Talk Tofurky
Tofurky has long been a committed, generous partner to Farm Sanctuary and we are thrilled to congratulate them on the 20th anniversary of their holiday roast. They first featured Farm Sanctuary’s logo on their Tofurky® Roast box in 1997 and have always been willing to donate to our annual Celebration for the Turkeys or help in any way they can.
Gene Baur and Tofurky President Seth Tibbott have been trading stories for years about how the growth of Farm Sanctuary and Tofurky have paralleled each other. It is an honor to once again have the Adopt a Turkey Project promoted on Tofurky® Roast boxes nationwide. With Tofurky’s continued generosity, we will be able to educate new generations that farm animals should be our friends, not food.
Tofurky Maple-Pecan Roast
Recipe by Wolfgang Hanau
1 thawed Tofurky roast, unwrapped
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Chinese chili paste with garlic
8 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon 5-spice powder
2 cups toasted pecan pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a 2-cup bowl, whisk together maple syrup, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, chili paste, garlic, and 5-spice powder. Pour over the Tofurky, coating all surfaces.
2. Cover Tofurky and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Drain the Tofurky and place on a rack in a large, shallow roasting pan.
5. Roast in preheated oven 45 minutes, basting with maple syrup marinade juices.
6. While the roast is in the oven, toast the pecan pieces in a heavy skillet over low-medium heat until lightly toasted. Set aside.
7. Allow the roast to rest for 10 minutes before serving with Tofurky Giblet & Mushroom gravy or other vegan gravy. Sprinkle with toasted pecan pieces.