About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming and encourage a new awareness and understanding about farm animals. As one of the nation’s largest animal sanctuaries, Farm Sanctuary has rescued thousands of animals and has cared for them at its sanctuaries in New York and California. At Farm Sanctuary, animals are friends, not food. The organization educates millions of people about the plight of farm animals and the negative impacts of factory farming on health, the environment and social justice. Farm Sanctuary also advocates for laws and policies that prevent suffering and promote compassion, and it reaches out to legislators and businesses to bring about institutional reforms.
Farm Sanctuary remains committed to ending cruelty to farm animals and promoting compassionate vegan living through rescue, education, and advocacy efforts. Please join us. A compassionate world begins with you!
A world in which humans embrace a vegan ethic and practice compassion and respect for all species.
To protect farm animals from cruelty, to inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and to promote compassionate vegan living.
- We engage people where they are on their journey to a cruelty-free lifestyle.
- We support only nonviolent and respectful methods to achieve our goals.
- Ending factory farming and promoting a plant-based diet is best for animals, human health, and the environment.
- Animals exist for their own purposes and are not merely consumable resources.
- We support incremental change.
- All human and nonhuman animals should be treated with compassion and respect.
- Positive human-animal connections and interactions are an effective means of education and transformation.