About Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming and encourage a new awareness and understanding about farm animals. Today, Farm Sanctuary is the nation’s largest and most effective farm animal rescue and protection organization. We have rescued thousands of animals and cared for them at our sanctuaries in Watkins Glen, NY; Northern California (Orland); and the Los Angeles area. At Farm Sanctuary, these animals are our friends, not our food. We educate millions of people about their plight and the effects of factory farming on our health and environment. We advocate for laws and policies to prevent suffering and promote compassion, and we reach out to legislators and businesses to bring about institutional reforms.
Farm Sanctuary remains committed to ending cruelty to farm animals and promoting compassionate vegan living through rescue, education, and advocacy efforts. Please join us. A compassionate world begins with you!
A world in which humans embrace a vegan ethic and practice compassion and respect for all species.
To protect farm animals from cruelty, to inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and to promote compassionate vegan living.
- We engage people where they are on their journey to a cruelty-free lifestyle.
- We support only nonviolent and respectful methods to achieve our goals.
- Ending factory farming and promoting a plant-based diet is best for animals, human health, and the environment.
- Animals exist for their own purposes and are not merely consumable resources.
- All human and nonhuman animals should be treated with compassion and respect.
- Positive human-animal connections and interactions are an effective means of education and transformation.