The 2019 Farm Animal Care Conference is now SOLD OUT and the waiting list is full. We hope you can join us next year!
Farm Sanctuary’s long history of rescuing and caring for animals has put our staff at the cutting edge of farm animal care. The techniques and methods developed by our staff are used at sanctuaries across the country.
The Farm Animal Care Conference is geared toward anyone who is interested in starting their own farm animal sanctuary or rescuing and caring for farm animals as companions.
If you want to learn more about what it takes to care for rescued farm animals, this is an experience that cannot be missed.
Farm Animal Care Conference tickets are $275 per person. All participants must be at least 18 years of age or older to attend. The registration fee covers three days of lectures, field time, and materials, as well as a vegan continental breakfast and catered lunch each day.
The event includes a lecture component where guests will receive an overview of the following topics:
- Starting a sanctuary
- Picking a location
- Animal housing
- Types of sanctuaries: Micro vs. larger operations
- Farm equipment
- Sanctuary safety
- Farm animal rescue protocols
- Introduction to animal health care
- Recognizing illness
- Most common conditions by species
- Parasites and treatments
- Psychological needs of animals; how to tell what they want
- Basic nutritional needs of each species
- Basics of euthanasia
- Visitor Programs
- Volunteer Programs
The event also includes a field time component where you will be able to observe our caregiving team interacting directly with the animals. The field time portion will explore:
- Barn design by species
- Basic animal handling skills
- Species-specific healthcare overview
- Basic maintenance healthcare by species; hoof-trimming, nail-trimming, body checks, etc.
- Basic biosecurity