Shelter Caregiver – Acton, CA
Shelter caregivers work closely with shelter management to ensure quality animal care, proper handling, proper disease diagnosis, and maintenance of all animal feeds and watering schedules.
- Animal feeding/watering and maintaining animal feeds schedule
- Daily animal health care and treatments
- Weekly animal health checks/individual checks of each species
- Animal health care projects as assigned, including feed ordering, medications and medical supply ordering, database, and animal charting
- Shelter cleaning projects; maintaining hospital/treatment areas
- Reporting animal health and/or other shelter problems directly to shelter management
Shelter Caregivers should have a strong desire and ability to do hands-on shelter work and a personal commitment to rescuing and protecting farm animals. Caregivers are vital team leaders of our shelters, where providing quality animal care is the number one priority.
- Excellent animal behavior observation skills
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions and maintain animal care schedules as assigned
- Ability to work well with variety of people
- Team player and able to monitor and report on all shelter staff duties
- Very reliable and dependable
- Positive attitude
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s animal care policies
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
- Previous animal experience is required
- Minimum two years experience at animal care facility; volunteer history at animal advocacy organization(s); candidates with only one year of experience may still be considered but would start at the Caregiver Assistant level
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Work schedule is 5 eight hour shifts per week; candidates must have flexibility to work any day of the week; regular weekend and holiday availability is required
- Some regular evening hours required during summer months
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues
- Salary range: $33,000 to $40,000 based on experience and qualifications
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date posted: February 6, 2020