Monthly Work Parties
Like the idea of spending time outside, gathering with like-minded people for a worthy cause, and hanging out with lovable farm animals all in the same day? Sign up for a Volunteer Work Party at Farm Sanctuary’s New York or California Shelters!
Work Party Goals
The Farm Sanctuary Volunteer Work Party provides compassionate folks with a fun, positive opportunity to meet new friends, pitch in with chores and projects, spend time with rescued farm animals, and learn more about our sanctuaries and efforts to protect animals from abuse.
Work Party Chores
All work party days are devoted to activities that help us operate our sanctuaries and contribute to the success of our education and advocacy programs. Farm chores and projects generally include activities such as barn cleaning and grounds maintenance projects. Work party chores are not glamorous and may be physically demanding and/or repetitious; however, every task assists us with carrying out our daily mission of rescuing, protecting, and caring for farm animals in need. Monthly chores and projects are determined immediately prior to the work party according to our greatest and most timely needs.
Work Party Logistics
- All volunteers receive a complimentary tour of Farm Sanctuary during their visit.
- Volunteers are encouraged to bring a vegan dish to share for a work party potluck lunch. This is a great time to get to know other compassionate individuals. If you have any questions about vegan food, please let us know and we would be happy to help with potluck dish suggestions.
- Pre-registration is required and availability may be limited to 20 volunteers or less each month. Due to the nature of shelter work, we also may not be able to accommodate groups of 6 or more. Large groups will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Volunteers are asked to commit to 6-7 hours for the day, which includes time for lunch and the farm tour; specific location schedules are listed below.
- Work parties are held rain or shine, though cancellations may occur due to hazardous weather conditions, resident animal health concerns, or other circumstances.
Work Party Schedules
Watkins Glen, NY
- For 2020, work party dates will be April 11, May 9, June 13, July 11, August 8, September 12, October 3, and November 14.
- Due to potentially hazardous and unpredictable weather, volunteer work parties are not offered in December, January, February, or March.
- Work parties begin at 9 a.m., with a mandatory volunteer orientation, and end at 4 p.m.
- Hosted twice a month, year-round, generally on the first Saturday and third Wednesday of each month. Specific days change from month to month based on shelter needs, and book up early because of limited space. Once your application is received, the volunteer coordinator will get in touch with you about currently available Work Party dates.
- Work parties begin at 10 a.m., with a mandatory volunteer orientation, and end at 3 p.m.
- Limit of 10 volunteers per work party
For important safety reasons, individuals aged 12 to 17 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in order to work inside any animal housing barns.
Children under 12 are not allowed to volunteer at the shelter.
Work Party Sign-up
If you are interested in participating in a Volunteer Work Party, please help us learn more about you and any special skills you would like to share by filling out a brief volunteer application; please be sure to note the work party date(s) you are interested in when you apply. After we receive your application, one of Farm Sanctuary’s volunteer coordinators will contact you directly to confirm if there is availability on the date(s) requested. You are welcome to encourage family and friends to join you in volunteering; however, each person in your group does need to fill out the application in advance. Volunteer Work Party reservations are not confirmed until you are contacted by a Farm Sanctuary volunteer coordinator.
If you would like additional information about our Volunteer Work Party opportunities, please email email@example.com or call 607-857-8793.