Humane Educator – Los Angeles Metro Area
Farm Sanctuary’s Humane Educator is a full-time, in-classroom educator teaching our “Meet the Animals: A Virtual Tour of Farm Sanctuary” and “Environmental Impacts & our Food System” programs to middle and high school students in classrooms in the Los Angeles Metro Area as well as working on curriculum development and other special education projects. The Humane Educator reports to the Director of Education & Strategic Initiatives.
- In-Classroom Instruction: The Farm Sanctuary Humane Educator will conduct in-classroom instruction at schools in the Los Angeles Metro Area.
- Outreach and Building School Relationships: The Farm Sanctuary Humane Educator will be responsible for outreach to middle and high schools in the Los Angeles Metro Area
- Curriculum Development: Perform research, writing, and image selection to produce new curriculum resources for teachers, in collaboration with Farm Sanctuary’s Education and Communications teams.
- Volunteers: Work with Farm Sanctuary’s Volunteer Coordinator to recruit and train humane education volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree required and relevant post-graduate education preferred.
- Spanish language proficiency preferred.
- Knowledge of teaching methods to accommodate students’ varied learning processes and classroom/alternative learning setting instruction experience preferred.
- Proven professional interpersonal and relationship skills to include building alliances with schools and community organizations.
- Knowledge of farm animal protection, veganism, and issues related to animal agriculture; highly motivated toward promoting farm animal protection and plant-based diet choices.
- Ability to organize, supervise and motivate volunteers.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular attendance.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
- Familiarity with and dedication to Farm Sanctuary’s vision, mission, and ethos
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to lift and carry up to 45 pounds
- Full time, non-exempt position
- Telecommuting position based in the Los Angeles metropolitan area only, telecommuting from any other locations is not an option for this position
- Requires extensive travel by car to schools throughout the Los Angeles metro area
- Flexibility to work early mornings to accommodate travel time needed for first period classroom presentations
- Primarily a Monday -Friday schedule, with variable hours according to timing of classroom invitations
- Flexibility to work some weekends and evenings for special programs as planned
- Requires 4 weeks of training on-site at Farm Sanctuary in Acton, CA
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including paid holidays; personal days; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; and long-term disability insurance
All interested applicants are required to complete Farm Sanctuary’s Employment Application. Instructions for sending supplemental materials will be provided within the application.
For questions or to request a copy of the employment application by mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position posted 5-2-2019